Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I get entirely over-excited when I get new office supplies.

There are very few reasons for me to get all excited when I'm at work. 

These reasons are including, but not limited to, the following list:

  1. Huge shipments with lots of bubble wrap.
  2. Huge shipments with lots of rubber bands.
  3. Shiny new guitars that I get to unwrap and hold first, fresh from the manufacturer.
  4. Getting to pick out the new jewelry to go on display.
There are other reasons to be excited, but those four are my number one. Today, however, Manager Man gave me a new reason to be all excited and happy.

New Message Pads.

I know it seems silly. Really, I understand that. But these are the most awesome message pads in the whole freaking world! Especially when you compare them to the message pads we've been using since the beginning of forever that I've seen every single day for the last three years.

This is the message pad style that we have used since the Stone Age. It is basic. It is ugly. It is boring. And until today, I did not think there was an alternative to this basic office staple that every Receptionist needs. It reads as follows:
  1. For:
  2. Date:
  3. Time: AM/PM
  4. From:
  5. Of:
  6. Phone/Mobile
  7. Fax:
  8. Message:
  9. Signed:
And then on the right it says "PHONE CALL" and to the left there is a list of boxes you can check which are relevant to the call.
  1. Telephoned
  2. Returned your call
  3. Please call
  4. Will call again
  5. Came to see you
  6. Wants to see you
As I said. Boring.

Our new messages, however, look like this.





Not only do they look freaking awesome because they look like e-mails, complete with mouse cursor for clicking, but they are self-adhesive so that I can stick them on foreheads, monitors, walls, and anything else I feel like putting the messages on. This will make it a lot easier to make sure messages don't get "accidentally" lost because they "fall" in the trash after I deliver them and then somebody doesn't get called back. I also think that the novelty of the new message pads will make everybody more inclined to look at their messages, if only temporarily.

Yes. I'm excited about this. It's almost as awesome as that time that Dale gave me the "Unattended Children Will Be Given Espresso And A Free Puppy" sign for Christmas last year, and the time that Sara gave me a dry erase board with Michael Scott and the Dunder Mifflin Paper Company logo on the side. It's definitely more awesome than the colorful post its and the multi-colored paper clips.

Alright, so I'm bored out of my mind. Still, don't you kind of wish you had a receptionist handing you messages like this? Even just a little?

P.S. I finally got impatient about using the new message pad, so I wrote my own message for Dizzy so that I could say I used the message pad. I discovered something funny on the carbon copy left behind.


It says "You've got a copy!" instead of "You've got a message!"

Yes. I know. I am entirely too amused by this thing. But you have to admit...my excitement is making you smile a little, right? If not outright giggle.

3 comments:

  1. Those are cool looking. I thought I was looking at an application on a computer screen for a second. Well, I am looking at a computer screen, but..you know what I mean.

    As for getting "over-excited"...I have these big stacks of cardboard boxes that I have to shrink wrap at work. Before I start, I have to lay down a sheet of scrap cardboard and then stack the boxes on top of them. I get excited when I find a bunch of sheets that are just the right size and I don't have to cut them or tape them up or anything. It makes my day. So don't feel like you're too crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your excitement over new message pads reminds me of one Christmas a few years ago when my older sister gave me a big package of brand new socks. I was THRILLED!

    Let me explain: My socks get worn out VERY quickly during the fall and winter months because I wear them constantly. It's one of the most exasperating things EVER to reach into your drawer, pull out a pair of clean socks and put them on only to feel one of your toes poking out the end. I always get teased by my family for my holey socks and the fact that I just can't seem to remember to put them on any shopping lists. So that Christmas, my sister bought me new socks and I was literally, completely thrilled about it!

    Crazy, I know. But as they say, sometimes the simplest pleasures are the best.

    Besides, those new message pads are the best. I'm sure I would be excited about them too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nuclearheadache: I love that they even added the little minimize, maximize, exit buttons on the top right corner. Definitely awesome. And I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets excited about work stuff that seems really silly but isn't. Because it MATTERS. We know it does. Still, my co-workers laughed because when I saw them I went, "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! OH MY GOD THESE ARE AWESOME!"

    Candice: I've never gotten excited over socks that didn't have lace frills on them, but I can totally understand you being excited. It IS just like getting new message pads. Maybe even better because you can take the socks everywhere with you and I technically have to leave mine at work. And your socks are a reminder that somebody loves you. I think Manager Man just saw them and thought I'd be amused by them. (Boy, he hit the nail on the head for THAT guess.)

    ReplyDelete

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog