Monday, October 18, 2010

FIVE blog awards from Candice? FIVE? *shocked*

Candice over at Thoughts by Candice has given me another award. But this time she gave me five. I have no idea how I managed to be worthy of five awards at once, but I feel very, very thankful. And so because Candice was kind enough to give me the awards, I'm now going to go off and give the award to other blogs.

But there are some rules that must first be followed, as is always the way with these things.

The rules are here, though whether or not I will follow them remains to be seen:
1) Thank and link back to the blogger who gave yo
u the award (I followed this one, but I'm not making it a stipulation because I feel like that is demanding attention that I don't deserve)
2) Tell 7 things about yourself
3) Pass the award on to 15 other bloggers (They really are reaching for the stars here. I couldn't even do ten with the last one, how can they HONESTLY expect fifteen?)
4) Contact the other bloggers and tell them about the award (Now this REALLY isn't fair, and I didn't do it last time, and I won't do it this time, because it also feels like attention seeking.)

So. There are the rules. Now to talk about one of my favorite subjects: myself.

1) I have a very bad addiction to jeans and boots. Seriously, all of the shelves in my closet are dedicated to jeans because they'd take up more than half of my considerable closet space and hanger inventory if I hung them up, and the dresser is full of the things that don't go in the closet. As for my boots, I have one bin for shoes that aren't boots, and one bin for boots only. They are the same size, but the bin for boots is overflowing, while the bin for other shoes almost reaches the top.

2) In addition to being very addicted to jeans and boots, I own (at last count) fifty three different belts, which all hang on a metal thing on my closet door that I'm sure was meant to hold jackets and scarves or something. They are layered on top of each other, and are so numerous that the closet door can't be shut. Some of them I can't even wear because they don't go with any of my outfits or shoes, but they were entirely too cute to not purchase.

3) I know this shocking to some of you, but I am an impulsive shopper. I buy things I do not need because they are cute or because they are just sitting there. If I need oatmeal, and I walk by a sale on Saltines, well, I'll buy a couple of boxes even though I don't even eat crackers. Or I go to get dog food and happen to see a cute little sweater for Choo Choo, I'll buy that even though I know she won't wear it for more than an hour after I've left her to her own devices. Choo Choo, much like myself, does not like to be confined in clothing.

4) I do not like to wear any kind of clothing when I am in the privacy of my own room. Though I love all of my clothes (except the bras that are buried at the bottom of my intimates drawer and are probably crying for want of use) and I love feeling pretty in them, I don't like to wear them more than necessary. So when I'm in the bedroom, I'm Au natural, and I keep one pair of pajamas on hand to put on if I need to leave the room for a minute to get something, but as soon as the bedroom door is closed again, the pajamas are on the floor and I'm free again. (If this is too much information, I am sorry, but Padawan thinks it's one of the funniest quirks in my personality given my love of clothes and my intense modesty around other people, himself included.)

5) I have a serious and intense dislike of children that goes back to my own childhood. I can count on one hand the number of children in the span of my life that I have liked or at the very least tolerated, and that still leaves me one finger left. My dislike is so intense that it did not bother me in the slightest when I learned that I can't have children. My reaction was quite the opposite: I was overjoyed by the discovery and felt relief that I would never have to worry about an accidental pregnancy that would result in either an abortion or putting it up for adoption. (Some women will mercilessly sell children they don't want to families that have excessive wealth and want children, but I would NEVER do that. Of course, it's probably no worse than having an abortion...)

6) I love animals. If Padawan would let me I would have an entire menagerie of creatures to love and care for and play with all day every day. Unfortunately, Padawan is extremely reluctant to have animals as he feels they are just as, if not more, needy than children, and he has no desire for children. (Great that he loves me then, he'll never have to worry about it if we wind up married somewhere in the very distant future.) So we only have Choo Choo. Padawan did own a Sheltie named Apollo when we met, and I also had a cat, but Apollo disappeared from the yard one day and no shelters had him and nobody responded to our posters, and Bellatrix (fondly known as Bella) had to be given up when we took an apartment that did NOT allow cats. (Dogs, yes. Cats, no. Whoever heard of such stupidity?)

7) I am a geek, a nerd, and a dork. These are not interchangeable words. A geek is someone who is dedicated to a specific hobby, a nerd someone dedicated to academic endeavors, and a dork is someone who knows and respects the difference in the titles. So, I am all three, and while my co-workers have only just discovered this (my extensive Star Wars and Spaceballs knowledge blew them away last week) I'm pretty sure anybody who has read my blog already had that figured out. (Some arguments state that a dork is actually a whale's penis, but I'm using it in the modern, urban terminology as opposed to Webster's definition.)

And that concludes the seven things about me. So I'm technically only following one of the rules, the first one at that, but I'm kind of following rule three. I AM giving fifteen awards. I'm just giving three at a time to five different blogs.

I am actually following seven blogs now, but I've only started following her today and I feel it would be incredibly silly to award someone a blog award after having read only three of her entries. Also, it might seem like I am trying to suck up or something. I don't know. Maybe not?

Well, in any event, fifteen is evenly divided by five and not seven, so I'm just going to have to shaft my newest follows. (No offense, Niki at Loaded Handbag and Annah at Red Means Go, but I only just found you.) I could just give two awards to everyone and then an extra one to a special favorite...but that would be difficult to choose, and anyway Doug over at I Like Cheese might be offended if he thought for even a second that I might give Charles more awards than him. Or he'd be incredibly smug about it to Charles of In Review and Stuff and then that would be another can of worms...

On second thought...that's not such a bad idea...No! Bad, Chanel! There's already more than enough trouble between those two as it is. I shouldn't go around fanning their duel war thing. Nope, nope, nope. I'm just going to go on ahead and give three to five. That's what I'm doing.

Behold, the Triple Crown Versatile Blogger Award.



To Charles (yes, Doug, I did it again) of http://arealgoodblog.blogspot.com/

To Carmi of http://writteninc.blogspot.com/ (and I swear one day I WILL leave a comment and not just silent stalk)

And last but not least, to Allie of http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/ (who I will probably always continue to read but never give a comment because she's like famous or something.)

So THREE AWARDS TO EACH OF YOU! YAAAAAAAAAAAAY! *does a happy dance for the accomplishment of delegating awards so nicely*

Now that I feel like I've written an EPIC blog entry, I feel like I can get back to the book I was reading. Which, for the record, is Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen, and I didn't want to put it down for more than a second but then I discovered the award and I had to write out this blog because it was very important to show my thanks, so poor Catherine has been wallowing in misery and insult for hours now and I really do need to go back and finish the story and find out if Henry will come to find her and love her or if she'll be single forever because I just KNOW that awful John Thorpe is behind the whole thing...

But, of course, none of you are interested in Catherine's plight because you aren't reading the book at the moment (probably) and have no idea what I'm talking about...

Onward! To honor!

4 comments:

  1. I've read "Northanger Abbey" and I totally know what you're talking about. Side note: I'd have to say that my favorite Jane Austen book is a tie between "Pride and Prejudice" and "Persuasion". That said, I am stunned and honored by the THREE awards you have so generously bestowed upon me. Thank you very much, truly.

    PS: It's good to know that you are a fellow member of the geek/nerd/dork club. I think we're an ever-expanding breed that deserves lots of attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished it! I was right, but not in the way I thought I was. That evil John Thorpe WAS to blame, and the General was a jerkface and I wanted to believe he was a good man. I was very disappointed that he didn't think she was already engaged and THAT was why he sent her away.

    You're welcome.

    We are underappreciated and taken for granted. We should have a massive nerd/geek/dork movement demanding our rightful appreciation.

    Also, my favorite is a toss up between "Pride and Prejudice" and "Sense and Sensibility". I'm always in agony until the end of each because it always seems as if the end won't come to rights and then it does and you're all like, "YAAAAY!" and there's a happy dance and you feel like you've just been through the whole thing yourself and there's a smug satisfaction that you got what you wanted.

    Or that might just be me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope. It's not just you. I've often wondered about myself and how very emotionally invested I always am in books. It's why I can't stand to read a hopelessly sad story, it'll seriously depress me for days. (Pathetic, I know). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help getting emotionally involved in books...I get so wrapped up in them that I lose all sense of time and myself and it's like I don't exist except as whatever character I'm reading...It was especially hard after I read Gone with the Wind the first time.

    I read this book called "Through Glass Darkly" and was alternately so happy and sad that I just couldn't put it down and in the end I felt like she'd lost everything, so I read the second book thinking it was impossible that it could get worse, but then she lost even more and I thought I was going to jump off a bridge for her if she didn't do it herself and then it all ended relatively happy in comparison to how the whole story had unfolded, but I felt like staying in bed for three days afterwards because it was so horrifying an ordeal. I highly recommend it to everybody.

    ReplyDelete

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog