Saturday, August 7, 2010

Inspire Shine & Repair Serum is a TREATMENT and REPAIRS nothing.

There are many things that I hate, and several things that just piss me off. One of those things is the hair care industry. Why? Because a lot of things they sell you (at ridiculously inflated prices) don't actually do what they claim. Like a lot of the brands of shampoo sold in stores and not at salons that are made for color treated hair actually have peroxide in them. What does peroxide do? Damages hair by drying it out and fading the pigment. Which is great for people with blond hair (not the drying and damaging part, but the removing pigment part), but it really sucks for dark hair colors. It just means you have to color your hair that much more often.

But that's neither here nor there as far as this particular rant goes. Today, I was on my facebook (I signed on because I wanted to check on my chocolate shop) and I happened to notice that one of the cosmetic based FB pages I'd subscribed to had added a new post about a product. If there's one thing I love, it's a hair product that is all natural, no chemicals. I was immediately interested, clicked to read the full update...and became pissed off.

Inspire Shine and Repair Serum.

See. That word repair is tricky. It implies that it can repair damaged hair. Now, as a person who has been fabulous spoiled in the hair care industry since childhood (my Aunt owns Urban Betty here in Austin, and it's been voted in the top four), I know exactly what I can expect from hair care products. One thing that I learned early on is this: damage to your hair is permanent.

As in cannot be repaired.

As in you have to cut the damaged parts off to get rid of it.

There is no product in the world (the whole freaking WORLD) that can repair a damaged cuticle or fix a split end. Absolutely nothing. Once the cuticle is torn or chipped, that damage is there to stay. A split end will always be split. Yes, you can blow dry your hair with a concentrator and a boar bristle brush to smooth split ends and make them LOOK like they are repaired, but it's still split.

Now, not everybody has had the same vigilant hair care that I've received in my life, and so they foolishly believe advertisements that claim their product can repair damage. Not wanting anyone to be fooled, I commented on the new product explaining that it could make your hair look healthier, and even nourish it, but it couldn't possibly repair any damage. I would have been perfectly fine with the company if they had left well enough alone. I wasn't calling them out for false advertisement. I was merely making sure that nobody misunderstood what they meant by "repair".

Unfortunately for this cosmetic company, they responded to my comment personally and used my name. They said, "Hi Channelle, Inspired Shine & Repair Serum does repair hair by adding moisture and nourishment to the follicle. That's why it's best used daily as a vitamin, as it continuously helps your hair look better day after day."

You know what that means? It's a moisturizer. It is a TREATMENT for dry hair. Does it REPAIR dry hair? No. So long as you keep using it, your hair will feel soft and it will be shiny. But the fact remains that you are genetically gifted with dry hair, so if you stop using the product your hair will be dry again. You can't fix that. And assuming your hair wasn't damaged to begin with, since you're taking care of it with a product that is chemical free it will start to look better, but it will stop looking better if you stop using the product.

But that doesn't REPAIR anything.

And because they insisted (INSISTED) that their product REPAIRS, I've officially decided to stop use of all of their products. There is absolutely no way I will support a product that makes money tricking people into believing it will cure problems that it can't.

And I do mean it CAN NOT repair anything.

It is a TREATMENT.

To TREAT the problem. A temporary fix. So, the next time you read or hear about a hair care product that "repairs" something, stay away from it. There are plenty of products out that their tell the truth: why pay for something you aren't going to get?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog