Saturday, February 18, 2012

Look, I'm not asking for much here, just to buy a huge, maybe a little feminine bed that could fit six people in it comfortably...

Where, oh where, have my words run off to these days? 

I feel like I'm never around anymore, and it's true. I come home tired, cranky, and frustrated. I eat and walk Choo Choo, and I lay down on the couch with Padawan until he carries me off to be because, quite frankly, I don't have the energy to get up again once I'm down.

For all that my face is apparently aging gracefully, my body seems to be aging in double time. Sore, tired...

And you know what it is, right?

It's our stupid bed.

It's too small for two people. We need a king sized bed, or at least a queen. A full sized bed for two people is ridiculous. Especially when you factor in that my dog, my delightful little Choo Choo, stretches herself out to the fullest across the bed, taking up as much space as I do laying on my back. And being a spoiled, selfish little creature, she had no problem kicking me when she's stretching out to ensure that she gets enough space. And sticking her feet under me, claws and all, when her little paws are cold.

I pointed out to Padawan that we need a bigger bed.

He claims that we can't have a bigger bed.

And men are supposed to be better at spacial reasoning. Ha!

The real reason is that the mattress we have (which was his before it was ours, because when we used my mattress he said it was too soft and of course his is way too firm) is one that he bought and he only had it for a year before I moved in so it's still pretty new (to him, anyway, my mattress was only mine for six months before it got shoved into storage) and he thinks it would be a waste of money to buy a new set of mattresses.

Really. 

He thinks I don't understand that, but I do. Does he think I really don't notice how he insists on squeezing the very last, tiny bit of toothpaste out of the mangled tube before he breaks down, throws it out, and buys a new one? He doesn't like wasting things. (This is sadly how we wind up with all that food in our refrigerator. He can't stand the idea of throwing it away, he puts it in the fridge, and it promptly gets forgotten about until a week later when we toss it because we both know that, no  matter what, once it goes into the refrigerator, it's not coming back out until it's not edible.) Then again, this is the same man who doesn't care about things going where they belong so long as they aren't sitting out where he can see them. Forks...smoke detectors...chopsticks...battery charger...all of it winds up in my purse if left out. Even when he's the one who left it out.

It's funny how he does things like that.

Anyway, is it too much to ask for a big bed?

I mean, my sleep is important. If I don't sleep well I'm cranky. And then I'm not hungry, and he hates it when I don't eat. And then I'm tired and I have no energy, which means I'm hardly amorous...and then you wind up with this awful situation in which I'm only feeling amorous a few times a week, and really how is that fair to anybody? 

Sorry, I realize that you guys just got an up close and personal look into my...well, personal life. But seriously? 

If a bigger bed is all it takes...why doesn't he just agree and say, "Yes, Chanel. Buy a bigger bed if that's what makes you happy." I mean...it's mutually beneficial if he agrees, so where's the down side? So what if I want to buy a huge four poster bed with pretty curtains? It's not girly if the curtains are blue....

Right?

20 comments:

  1. We spend so much of our life in bed, it is really important our bed lets us get proper sleep.
    Do you have a spare room where you can put the smaller bed as a "Guest Room"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we currently inhabit a one bedroom apartment. He has a house that his dad left him, but we can't store stuff there anymore because he let his family move in to save on rent. I'm perfectly happy to just donate the mattress to his little brother, who still lives in a twin sized bed, but he thinks that would be weird.

      Delete
  2. Hey, sleep is one of the most important things in our lives. Tell him you can use your mattresses for when you have a guest room someday and buy the bigger bed. It's totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told him what you said and he pointed out that when are we ever going to have company because our families live in town except for my dad, who prefers staying in a hotel with the company of my stepmother than staying with us. We think that when we actually live in a house we're going to have the office, the bedroom, and one rocked out music room. No guests allowed unless they want to sleep on the fold out couch, which Padawan is more comfortable with anyway. Something about guests on a bed that we've shared grosses him out...

      Delete
  3. Do what we did. Look around for a good deal on a king sized bed. Buy it and put the smaller beds up for sale and recoup some of the price. I guarantee you will both benefit (in many ways I won't go into) from having a larger bed to sleep (etc) in. tell Padawan that it's not an extravagance. It's a necessity. Like buying a larger hard drive for his 'puter. He'll understand that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He buys better graphics cards, not bigger hard drives, but I sure put into that perspective he'll be more inclined to agree. However, I'm a little weary of the idea of selling a bed. I mean...do people really buy second hand mattresses? That's kind of...gross. I mean, giving it to family is one thing, but do strangers really want to sleep on a bed someone else has slept and...other things in?

      Delete
    2. Technically, you can't really resell a used mattress. But you can sell the frame and throw the mattress in for free. Spray it down with Lysol or something and let it air out for a day and it's fine.

      Tell you what. Go here: http://www.artfactory.com/great-kings-bed-castle-oliver-17th-cen-ireland-cbsj315a-p-7879.html?zenid=6743985fb5fb629b109edc6ea9a46375

      and tell Padawan you want that bed. After that he'll be happy to settle for something cheaper. (grin)

      Delete
    3. That's what I thought. There's a law against selling used motorcycle helmets, so there HAD to be one about mattresses.

      Good lord...that's pretty. Of course, I would actually use Marie Antoinette's bed as my model. It's less masculine than that one. But surely he'd reconsider my choice when he sees that you have to call for the price. That means it's a LOT of money...

      Delete
    4. Besides, once your body has decided that a mattress is no longer comfortable, you are never going to sleep well in it again. I'd like to see his face when he sees that picture, though. (grin)

      Delete
    5. Yeah. His reaction was, "Are you out of your mind?" when I showed him that bed.

      Delete
  4. I just upgraded this past year to queen size and will never go back. Boyfriend and I fit happily together in a queen, so I don't think you and Padawan would have any problems. Nikki is right, his bed won't be wasted- you're not going to throw it in the dumpster. You are just going to wait until a later point in life to use it to it's full potential. Get the bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we'll ever do the guest room thing. But I told him I was talking to blogging friends and that you all agreed a bigger bed and a good night's sleep was more important that getting the full use of a mattress before retiring it or sending it away. We'll see what happens. I can feel the winds of change blowing.

      Delete
  5. Get the new mattress. If there's one thing you don't mess with, it's a good night's sleep. And, I agree, once your body turns off to a mattress, it will never re-adapt to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the power of suggestion. Once my mind suggests it, the rest of it can't let the idea go.

      Delete
  6. My husband has the same out of sight out of mind attitude when it comes to putting things away. When he puts things away, I can't find anything. Of course, I'm not without my faults. I stack things on top of tables until I decide to put them away...which is why he gets annoyed and just shoves the stuff anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they shoved things under their beds as children and called it clean.

      Delete
  7. Tyler and I got a new bed last week. It's a king size, and it's glorious. Tell Padawan you can donate your old bed to charity for poor people who need a warm place to sleep. He'd go for that, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous!!!! I want a big bed!

      I'm going to go ahead and get one.

      And then I'll graciously allow him to sleep on it with me.

      Delete
    2. Smart plan. Like Tyler always says, it's much easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. :)

      Delete

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog